Page last updated: July 24, 2009 11:34 AM
Table of Contents
My Response to Jim Oberg's (June 2003) Criticism of These Rebuttals
Exactly what we know about the Cooper - Edwards AFB case.
O/C rebuttal: part 1b - Introduction (continued)
O/C rebuttal: Part 1a - Introduction
- The "impossiblity of UFOs."
- UFO research isn't all anecdotal;
- We'll be examing some ufological historyresearch by Drs. Hynek & McDonald
Gordon Cooper at the UN:
- UN agreed to have a meeting regarding UFOs.
- Jim Oberg attacks Cooper's character by linking
him with Sir Eric Gairy.
- UN participants wouldn't have agreed to
meeting unless they too had a problem.
- "The UFO Evidence" - Richard Hall
- Reactions from congressmen
Overlooked solid evidence &
other comments by author
- An astronaut, not known to be a hallucinator.
- I will verify Cooper Statement:
- "people have seen flying saucers at close hand.
And in many cases they have been verified on radar.
It is ridiculous for anyone to say that they're all
O/C rebuttal: part 2 - Intriguing bit of UFO data:
"Skything Occurred 1960"
- Anomaly tracked by minimum of three tracking stations
- Going the wrong way (didn't take advantage of earth's rotation)
- Going twice as fast
- Didn't maintain a regular schedule.
- Trackers were positive it wasn't
a normal satellite or meteor.
- "It appears some nights, some nights it doesn't"
O/C rebuttal: part 3a - J. Allen Hynek, from skeptic to
Hynek's Life and a few of his accomplishments:
- Professor of Astronomy at Ohio State U., USA
- Hired by Smithsonian to head IGY optical
satellite tracking program (STP)
- Operation Moonwatch - satellite observing stations
- Hynek was aware of "Skything"
- Indirectly hired by NASA
- One of the few things Hynek did fail at
was proving UFOs weren't real
- Colorado Project & Low memo
- "The UFO Experience"
- Formation of CUFOS (Center for UFO Studies)
- Footnotes to Oberg/Cooper Rebuttal 3ab
O/C rebuttal: part 3b - J. Allen Hynek, from skeptic to
"qualified believer" (continued)
- Comments by Walter Webb (Charles Hayden Planetarium,
Boston, Mass. USA)
- Series of Hynek "quotes" demonstrating his gradual
change of opinion regarding UFOs & the Air Force
O/C rebuttal: part 4a - UFOs, a synopsis of an extremely
relevant history (USA perspective)
- 1947 Kenneth Arnold
- 1952 Washington D.C. radar/visuals
- 1957 Sighting Wave (Sebago/Stokes/Kirtland)
- 1960 Sky Thing
- Skeptics listened to the Air Force's rhetoric and were satisfied.
- "Most cases have been explained
and there is nothing to UFOs."
- July/Aug 1965 Texas, N. Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas
- Sept: one month later "Exeter, NH"
- November: 1st North East USA power failure
- Dexter/Hillsdale, Michigan
- Congressional hearings ---> Condon Study (University of Colorado Project,
paid for by the US Air Force)
- Hynek Articles in Newsweek and Saturday Evening Post
(hyper-links to articles)
- discusses, amongst other things:
- He doesn't think it's all hogwash
- Klass (Ball Lighting theory) - Hynek disagrees
- Says Air Force didn't consult him on every case
- Information regarding the Colorado Project
(Condon's conclusions, etc.)
- Science groups who disagreed with the Condon Study,
and why (from NICAP files)
O/C rebuttal: part 4b - UFOs, a synopsis of an extremely
relevant history (continued)
- Closing of Blue Book
- Footnotes to Oberg/Cooper (Rebuttal 4ab)
O/C rebuttal: part 5a - Hynek takes us inside "Project Blue Book"
and reveals its deficiencies (Letter to Col. Sleeper - 447 lines)
- Delineates AF attempts to explain away UFOs at any cost
- 5 May 65 Navy sighting
- Hynek not permitted to peruse the files
- Problems with Blue Book staff in
numbers & scientific training
- Lack of communication between BB & the outside world.
- BB never availed itself of meteorological
know-how within the AF...
- Many evaluations have been made by Blue Book
without consulting their scientific consultant,
which have brought ridicule to the Air Force
- Hynek states outright that statistics being
quoted by Blue Book were a joke
- Blue Book was not concerning itself with the unknowns
- Information input to Blue Book is grossly inadequate
O/C rebuttal: part 5b - Hynek takes us inside
"Project Blue Book" (Continued)
- 4 Feb. 68 Incident at Redlands, California (USA)
- Poor investigation of sighting by 20 observers
- Cooper's Edwards AFB photographs were sent to Blue Book.
- Is is any wonder they were lost; or were they?
- Who actually saw those pictures?
- Cases with better data are are accumulating. (Belgium 1989/90)
- Footnotes to Oberg/Cooper Rebuttal 5ab
O/C rebuttal: part 6 - Summary &
"Who is, and isn't studying the UFO Phenomenon & Why"
(Finding "real" unknowns)
- AF's own consultant defected, put his career on the line
- Hynek's "UFO Experience" book & letter to Col.
Sleeper demonstrated that AF statistics were a "travesty"
- Condon study was greatly influenced by a fear of
- Robert Low's leaked memo
- Other scientists & engineers felt the opposite conclusion
could have been reached from the case material in the
Condon Report & other available facts
- Professional science turned its back on UFOs defaulting it to
obviously lesser equipped civilian "grass roots" UFO groups
- Richard Hall's contribution to finding real unknowns
- Sources of documented sightings:
- UFO Evidence - Richard Hall
- NICAP Journals
- Blue Book files themselves, if you could get at them.
(j.c. 11/30/03 Above files presently at the new NICAP)
- The Condon Study cases themselves,provided some evidence.
although not the best cases available,
- FOIA requests for hidden cases hinted at
by rumor (lawsuits, etc.)
- Dr. Bruce Maccabee's paper "Still in Default"
gives other sources
- Footnotes to Oberg/Cooper Rebuttal 6
O/C rebuttal: part 7a - Two more cases; "Sebago" (11/7/57)
& "Stokes" (11/6/57) (242 lines)
- Introduction to three author-selected cases
- Defense of McDonald (necessary
because of attacks by James Oberg)
O/C rebuttal: part 7b - A third "Condon/Blue Book" case,
reinvestigated by Dr. James McDonald: "Kirtland AFB,"
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA (11/4/57)
- Kirtland case as examined & presented by James McDonald
O/C rebuttal: part 7c - Kirtland conclusion / Blue Book &
Condon Study errors / McDonald's credentials / How this
all relates to Cooper's claims (355 lines)
- Conclusion of Kirtland case
- McDonald's critique of Kirtland evaluation by the Condon Report
- On McDonald's Sincerity
- McDonald embarrassed Drs. Hynek & Menzel
- Biographical Information re: McDonald
- Other cases:
- 1989\90 Belgium Cases
- Animal Mutilation Cases
- Abduction Claims
- Correspondence from Jan Aldrich (Proj. 1947) which informs me
my 3 cases were hours, not days apart as I had originally thought.
- Footnotes to Oberg/Cooper Rebuttal 7abc
ORIGINAL OBERG ARTICLE:
In Search of Gordon Cooper's UFOs (1/3) - Oberg
In Search of Gordon Cooper's UFOs (2/3) - Oberg
In Search of Gordon Cooper's UFOs (3/3) - Oberg
MY REBUTTAL TO JAMES
Rebuttal Table of Contents
The Oberg/Cooper rebuttal(s)
***My Response to Jim's Criticism of My Rebuttal ***
Cases (+1978/81 FOIA Releases)
Questions and Answers
CohenUFO Hyper-linked Master Index
CohenUFO Home Page