Also read :

Brazilian Government releases stunning information
concerning UFOs in their country


Representative for Brazil

(Editor: UAO = unauthorized aerial object)

When Navy officers, competent technicians
and experts on meteorological and atmospheric
phenomena, from a military Meteorological
Station and Oceanographic Post doing
research connected with the IGY, report
seeing the same UAOs on at least eight
different occasions, the event can be
classified as very unusual. Add the fact that a
number of other people saw these UAOs and
that in two cases they were observed through
theodolites, and the story gets even better.
Add a few more facts—that these UAOs were
photographed and the photos, showing a lot of
detail of the UAO, were proven to be genuine
according to official statements; that they
were picked up on radar and that several
people got a close look at the object at least
in two of the sightings—and the case becomes
one of the best in the whole history of UAOs,
good enough to convince even the most
ardent skeptics. Enough to prove that they are
real—some type of vehicle flying through our

This is the situation when you face the reports
of the UAO sightings at the Island of Trindade,
a Brazilian possession lost in the middle of the
South Atlantic Ocean. Most of these incidents
are known to the Brazilian public, but there are
important details which have not been
disclosed. However, even the information
already released through the Brazilian press
must be included, for it is almost certain that
the American public doesn’t know anything
about it. It is a well-known fact that reports
of flying saucers from other countries, when
published in the American press, do not
contain the necessary detail to give them
factual stature. Most news services merely as
an "item," mostly without verification, and
many times without even names or dates.
Therefore, I am going to report the whole
story of the Brazilian Navy sightings at the
Island of Trindade, the remarkable series of
incidents which caused a tremendous impact
on the Brazilian public and put the uneasy
Navy authorities of my country in a very
difficult position.

Hundreds of hours of my time were spent on
an exhaustive personal investigation of these
amazing incidents, to uncover all the facts
connected with them, even the ones not
revealed through the press. I was very lucky in
my search, mostly because I was informed
about the UAO’s pictures at a time when they
were still a top-secret subject—long before
their publication.

The first word of the sightings came on
February 4, 1958, when a Navy Commander
phoned me to report a startling story. That
man, a close friend of mine, had been a hard-
boiled skeptic for many years. In the past, I
had tried to convince him that UAOs were real
objects but got no results—all my attempts
had failed. Now he was calling to tell me he
had changed his opinion just a few days ago,
after he had seen some amazing pictures of a
flying saucer taken a few weeks before by a
Navy officer, at the Island of Trindade. "They
are authentic," he told me, "because they
were shot from the deck of a Navy ship, the
NE ‘Almirante Saldanha,’ in the presence of a
number of Navy officers and sailors, who had
sighted the UAO too."

My friend went on to say that the ship was at
the Island of Trindade on a scientific mission,
and that an investigation had been made
immediately. The ship’s CO. had taken the
necessary measures to get the film developed
aboard, in the presence of reliable witnesses,
and had requested the negatives for
examination. These negatives had been
submitted to a careful investigation by
photographic experts, in order to eliminate any
doubt about their authenticity.

He had seen the five pictures the day before
and was deeply impressed. They showed a
strange object which was obviously an aerial
machine of unknown type. He was also
informed that a craft of the same kind had
been sighted by the crew of a Navy towship
traveling near the coast of Bahia (State). He
said the evidence was enough to convince him
that saucers existed.

This was the Navy officer’s story. Feeling that
he was now sincerely interested in the UAO
problem, I advised him to talk to Commander X
(there is no need to tell his real name), an
officer from Navy Intelligence who was, in
fact, the Head of the Brazilian Navy
investigations of UAOs, and also the "contact
officer" on the same subject with the U.S.
Navy. "He was the person who showed me the
pictures," was my friend’s answer. He then told
me that Com. X was one of his best friends in
the Navy. He also said he was going to request
special permission to show me the pictures,
under compromise. He warned that the matter
was going to be difficult because the photos
were classified for official use only.

Permission was granted on February 14. On
that occasion my personal investigation of the
case was already yielding good ressults. From
several sources, through my contacts in the
Brazilian Navy, a lot of new information on the
incident had been collected. I already knew
the following basic facts connected with it: (1)
—that the man who had shot the pictures was
not a Navy officer, but a civilian—a
photographer named Almiro Barauna; (2)—that
the UAO appearing in the photos had been
sighted on January 16, 1958; (3)—that Mr.
Barauna had taken only four pictures of the
object; (4)—that the fifth one, which showed
the same saucer (or a similar one), had been
shot by a Navy sergeant stationed on the
Island, on a different date—before the arrival
of the NE "Almirante Saldanha;" and, (5)—that
at least six other sightings had been made at
the Island before the arrival of that ship, in
less than two months.

This was the information I had obtained when,
on the evening of February 14, I went to the
Brazilian Navy Ministry according to the
instructions received. I met the Navy officer
who was my friend and we went to talk to the
intelligence officer who was to show me the
UAO photos. I was permitted to make a close
examination of the four pictures shot by Mr.
Barauna. I also saw the fifth one, which was
together with the others, but no one told me
anything about its different origin. The
intelligence officers who worked on the UFO
problem seemed to constitute an efficient staff
and it was a pleasure to talk with them. We
discussed openly the details of the saucer
structure appearing in the enlargements made
from each photo. They had traced the flight
path of the object across the sky and carefully
plotted on special charts the data concerning
size, speed and altitude. They had no doubt
about the authenticity of the photos. The
Navy Photo Reconnaissance Laboratory did a
complete analysis of the original negatives,
which included visual studies, frame-by-frame
slide projection, microscopic examination,
granulation tests and measurements of the
images’ brightness. And the photo lab report
had concluded that the photos were genuine.
Also, a photogrammetric analysis made outside
the Navy, by a civilian organization, the
"Cruzeiro do Sul Aerophotogrammetric Service,"
had definitely excluded the possibility of a
falsification or photographic trick. And the
photographs agreed with the description of the
object that the observers had seen—i.e., all
witnesses had recognized the object appearing
in the pictures as the same one they had
sighted over the Island.

They confirmed the information I had collected
about other sightings at the Island, but no
additional details were given. At the end, they
asked me to keep absolute silence about the
whole matter. And so I did for a long time. I
am not breaking the compromise assumed. As
a matter of fact, all information released in
that interview was published later in the press.
The secret data included in this report, not yet
published, were picked up from other sources
under no compromise.

After the meeting at the Navy Ministry, the
next thing was to try to find the man who had
taken the photos. This task was given to
reporter Joao Martins, one of our best UAO
investigators, who was already working with
me in the case. He found Mr. Barauna on the
night of February 15. He told him he wanted
the photos exclusively for his magazine.
Barauna agreed, but advised that the
publication could be made only after
authorization from the Navy for he had
assumed a compromise to keep the matter
secret. The permission was granted on the
same night, verbally, by Com. C. A. Bacellar.
However, it was still subject to the approval of
the Navy Ministry and Martins was forced to
wait for it.

This seemed to be the end of my investigation
of the photographs. The amount of data I had
gathered was accurate but it was inconclusive
as far as getting a definite answer was
concerned. Then something unexpected came
to change the situation. On February 20, the
first news about the incident appeared in the
press: the newspaper "0 GLOBO" printed a note
on the rumors that a flying saucer had been
sighted at the Island of Trindade by the crew
of the NE "Almirante Saldanha." The note said
that the information had not been confirmed or
denied at the navy Ministry, but a Navy
spokesman had said that a statement on the
case would be released to the press at the
proper time. That same night Martins was
visited by Mr. Barauna. The man had bad
news. Com. Bacellar had phoned him to report
a very unpleasant fact: that same night, a
radio news program had announced that a
newspaper, the "CORREIO DA MANHÃ," was
going to print next morning "exclusive pictures"
of a saucer taken by the Navy, at the Island
of Trindade. Bacellar also said that the Navy,
taken by surprise and worried, had made a
desperate attempt to stop the publication at
the last moment—but failed. . . . Then they
had sent him to inform Barauna that he was
free from the compromise and should take the
proper measures to defend his own rights. Mr.
Barauna told Martins that he was free to break
their contract, too. But Martins decided to
accept the fight. They prepared a written
contract which was signed by Barauna. They
went immediately to the office of the involved
newspaper to stop the publication. Their
attempt was a failure, too. It was then
decided to publish the pictures in another
newspaper, at the same time.

The newspaper "0 JORNAL" was contacted and
agreed to print the photos. Next morning, on
February 21, the case was published in both
papers. "0 JORNAL" printed also a report about
the sighting as told by Mr. Barauna, which has
also been published in "The A.P.R.O. Bulletin"
(March, 1958).

Despite the careful measures to maintain
secrecy, some one had broken the censorship
and put the Navy authorities in a very difficult
position. And the man who had done this could
not be punished because he was the Brazilian
President himself. Ten days before, he had
received several copies and enlargements of
the UAO photos from Admiral Alves Camara,
the Navy Minister, as evidence that the Navy
had proof of flying saucers’ reality. A few days
later the President was visited by a close
friend, a person connected with the editor of
the "CORREIO DA MANHÃ." During the
interview, that person noticed some strange
photos spread on the President’s table and
asked about them. The President told him. He
became very excited and asked permission to
get them published. The President promised to
consider the demand. Several days later, under
the pressure of insistent demands, he finally
acceded to liberate the pictures. And when
the Navy tried to stop the publication at any
cost, the President—who had not asked for
the Navy’s advice on the subject—said that his
decision, right or wrong, was final. The photos
were published. The incident made headlines in
Rio’s newspapers and later all over the
country. Excellent enlargements of the
pictures were printed in the press, showing the
saucer moving over the sea and hovering
above the Island’s mountains. The effect on
the public was tremendous. A thing like that
had never before been revealed to the Brazilian
people. Those photographs were clear enough
to show the object was an unknown type of
craft. And they had been shot by a member of
the Navy’s scientific expedition, i.e., they had
been authenticated by the Navy.

The case remained on the paper’s front pages
for seven days. Navy authorities did not know
what to do, for the thing was too big to be
concealed anymore. To deny any connection
with the incident was a childish thing, an
unnecessary lie—but they tried it. The
maneuver was a failure, however for the orders
to keep the secrecy about the matter were
not obeyed by civilian observers aboard the
ship. They talked. Their reports confirmed
Barauna’s report. Under the pressure of public
opinion, the Navy was forced to issue an
official release which caused a Congressional
inquiry into the Navy policy about the UFOs.
This marked the climax of the confusion and
controversy which followed public
announcement of the startling events at the
Island of Trindade.

The Congressional inquiry was approved at the
House of Representatives on February 27,
1958. According to Brazilian law,
Representative Sergio Magalhaes requested
the Navy Ministry to explain the facts
connected with the incident at the Island of
Trindade. The text of this fascinating
document was printed in all Rio’s newspapers
on February 27 and 28. It is transcribed below,
quoted verbatim from the Government Printing
Office publication, the "Diario do Congresso


"Subject: The Navy Ministry is requested to
answer or explain the following items of the
inquiry presented by Rep. Sergio Magalhaes
(Rio de Janeiro, D.C.) on February 27, 1958,
and approved by this House:

If it is true that the crew of the NE ‘Almirante
Saldanha’ witnessed the sighting of a strange
object over the Island of Trindade.

Considering that the official statement
released from the Navy Minister’s Office
recognizes that photos of the strange object
were taken ‘in the presence of members from
the crew of the NE "Almirante Saldanha" ‘—it is
asked if an investigation was made, and if the
reports from the Navy officers and sailors
involved were registered.

In the hypothesis of a negative answer, the
Navy Minister is requested to explain the
reasons on which he has based his inclination
to attribute no importance to the fact.

If it is correct that the photos were developed
in the presence of officers from the NE
‘Almirante Saldanha,’ and that the pictures
showed the image of the strange object since
the first examination.

If the negatives were submitted to a careful
examination in order to detect any
photographic trick contrived before the

Why the information was kept secret by Navy
authorities for about a month.

If it is correct that other similar phenomena
were observed by Navy officers.

If it is correct that the commanding officer of
the Navy tow ship ‘Tridente’ witnessed the
appearance of the strange called a ‘flying


"JUSTIFICATION: The appearance of these
strange aerial objects known as ‘flying saucers’
has attracted the world’s interest and curiosity
for more than ten years. For the first time,
however, the phenomenon is witnessed by a
large number of members from a military
organization, and the photos of the object
receive the OFFICIAL SEAL through a
statement released to the press by the Navy
Minister’s Office. Yet, as the problem affects
the national security, more information is
necessary to clarify the facts. There is some
controversy in the information divulged through
the press, but the Navy apparently has no
intention of releasing a complete report to stop
the confusion and inform the public.
Furthermore, the Navy Minister’s Office, having
declared (officially) that a large number of
people from the NE ‘Almirante Saldanha’ crew
had sighted the strange object photographed
over the Island of Trindade—in spite of this,
there was no request for the witnesses’
reports or any other measures, as confessed
the Chief of the Navy High Staff when
interviewed by the press." UNQUOTE.


The flying saucers had achieved the honor of
being referred to in the House of
Representatives. By now the words "flying
saucer" were being batted around by every
newspaper reporter, radio and TV newscaster,
and man on the street. It had become
apparent that the press was reviving its
interest in UAOs. Newspaper reporters
uncovered and printed a lot of valuable
information on the matter, for they rival any
intelligence officer when it comes to digging up
facts. But the best thing they were able to get
was the Navy secret report to the House of
Representatives with the answers to the
questions asked by Rep. Sergio Magalhaes.
The information was published on April 17,
1958, by several newspapers at Rio (CORREIO
The document pointed out that the reports
hadn’t actually started with the Barauna
Incident. Several other sightings over the
Island had been witnessed by a number of
workers, sailors and officers, on different
occasions, during the months of December
(1957) and January. Some of these cases had
not been taken into consideration, said the
report, "though the witnesses reported the
sighting of the object on different days,
because their stories were not sufficient for
scientific evaluation due to the observers’ lack
of qualification (sailors and workers), and to
the brief duration of the phenomena." But in
five incidents, at least, the reports had come
from Navy officers, scientists, and other
equally credible observers—and those reports
couldn’t be discarded. The Navy investigation
of the matter was started in January, soon
after the arrival of the NE "Almirante Saldanha"
at Rio de Janeiro, and closed on February 2.

The Navy report also included an account of
these other incidents, which involved
"unidentified objects" shaped like a flying
saucer, and tear- shaped devices. "One
object," said the report, "when seen from
below, showed a spherical outline and its color
was undefined for some, like stainless steel for
others. The size was not determined. All the
reports called attention to the high speed,
controlled maneuvers, and extreme mobility of
the objects spotted. Their movements were
not continuous like those of an airplane—but
abrupt and rapid, with sudden changes of
course and speed, and right-angle turns."

It contained also the Navy’s analysis of the
Barauna Incident together with the evaluation
of the photos taken by that photographer. The
conclusion at the end of the document was
the following:

"Personal reports and photographic evidence of
certain value indicate the existence of
unidentified aerial object(s)."

All the information transcribed above was
printed in the Brazilian press, as well as a
summary of the several sightings at the Island.
No one knows who gave out the data to
newspapermen, but some clues suggest Rep.
Magalhaes himself. Anyway, the information
was correct. I was able to check the matter
personally. I saw the Navy report itself, in the
hands of some friends from the Navy. In fact,
there was more information in it than what had
been revealed through the press. The matter
will be discussed again in another portion of
this report. Incidentally, the Navy reaction to
the publication of information contained in the
secret report was expressed in the official
release made by Commander Raul Lopes
Cardoso, from the Navy Minister Office, on
that same day:

"The Navy has sent a memorandum to the
House of Representatives with the answers to
the questions asked by Rep. S. Magalhaes, in
an official document on the sighting of a flying
saucer on January 16, 1958, at the Island of
Trindade. I must declare, however, that such a
memorandum is a classified document and the
House of Representatives is not authorized to
divulge any information included there. Only
the President of the Republic, or the Navy High
Command could give the order to declassify
the Navy Secret Report on the subject and
make it available to the public.

"I would like to make it clear, on the other
hand, that the document received by Rep. S.
Magalhaes is not the Navy Secret Report itself.
That Report continues to be absolutely secret.
Any information or comments about it are still
forbidden. What was sent to the House was a
single memorandum, classified too." (Rio de
Janeiro 0 JORNAL, April 17, 1958).

Rep. Sergio Magalhaes was the obvious target
of the Navy release transcribed above. To
avoid trouble, he was careful in his official
declaration to the press on the matter. He said
only the following: "After receiving from the
Navy the information requested in the inquiry
connected with the flying saucer of Trindade, I
have concluded that an unidentified object
was seen by the crew of the NE "Almirante
Saldanha," and photographed by Mr. Almiro
Barauna." (Rio de Janeiro JORNAL DE BRAZIL,
April 17, 1958).

The facts reported above represent only a part
of the whole history, but they are enough for
the reader to get a general idea about the
situation and to realize the extraordinary
significance of the remarkable sequence of
UAO sightings at the Island of Trindade. The
following account presents the true and
complete story, based on what I learned in my
investigation of the matter. Most of the
information included was published in the
press, but my report contains also data which
has never before been divulged. In these
instances I have left out the names of the
people who gave me the information, or the
names of certain people who were associated
with the Navy project—people who have co-
operated to help me but do not want publicity.
But the greatest care has been taken to make
sure that the omission of a few names has in
no way altered the basic facts because this
report is based on facts—all of the facts.
Contrary to the present thinking in military
circles, I believe that the public must be told
every detail of every phase of the UAO
investigation. Therefore, nothing of
significance was left out. Now let us consider
the events in the order in which they

Part I

The First Sightings at the
Island of Trindade


Trindade is a small, deserted, rocky island
located in the middle of the South Atlantic
Ocean, between the Brazilian coast and the
African continent, more than 600 miles off the
coast of Bahia. During World War II, it was
used as a military base for U.S. and Brazilian
warships fighting German U-boats. But it was
abandoned after the end of the war, remaining
completely deserted and forgotten until 1957.
In October, 1957, however, a task force from
the Brazilian Navy arrived there, under the
command of Captain-of-Corvette Carlos
Alberto Ba-cellar. The Hydrography and
Navigation Division of the Navy Ministry had
decided to build an Oceanographic Post and a
Meteorological Station on the island for
research connected with the IGY.

By early November the task had been
completed. The installations began their
activities. Besides equipment for
oceanographic and meteorological studies,
there was also a radio station on the island.
Instrument-carrying meteorological balloons
were released daily by Navy technicians to
study high-atmospheric conditions. These
weather-balloons were flexible bags inflated
with hydrogen and painted red, to make it
easier to spot from the ground. The gas inside
the balloons expanded gradually as they
ascended (because of the drop of atmospheric
pressure), and a stage was reached when the
balloon could not expand further and then it
burst. The instruments were automatically
dropped by parachute before this moment.
Each balloon carried a radio transmitter which
started to send a radio signal as the balloon
began to climb. Information registered on the
balloon’s instruments was automatically sent to
the ground station. At the moment the
instruments were parachuted, the radio signal
changed automatically to a higher frequency.
The balloon’s movements were tracked all the
time through optical devices because a close
observation of its ascent would give
information on the winds at various heights.
The technicians tracked the balloon with
theodolites, to avoid losing contact with it.

November was coming to an end. On the
morning of a clear, sunny day, a meteorological
balloon was being tracked with a theodolite as
it slowly climbed into the sky. Com. Bacellar
was inside the radio station, picking up its
radio signals. Everything seemed to be normal.
But suddenly the signals’ frequency changed
unexpectedly. Puzzled, Com. Bacellar sent a
man outside to tell the operators at the
theodolite that the balloon’s instruments had
been parachuted prematurely. The technician
came back a few minutes later and was very
excited: "They said that the instruments have
not been dropped yet, Commander, and that. .

"That is impossible," answered Bacellar,
"because I am listening to the new signal.
What is happening outside?"

"I don’t know, sir, but they say there is
another object in the sky near the balloon, and
perhaps . . ." But he had no time to finish the
sentence because the commander was already
running through the door. It was unbelievable.
There was another object in the sky besides
the balloon, hovering over the Post at a great
altitude. It could be sighted distinctly with the
naked eye, appearing as a bright luminous
speck, silvery in color. It seemed to be moving
from one side to another and making tight
turns. At its apparent height, the speed had to
be tremendous to convey an impression of
motion so clearly defined. It was at an
elevation of about 80 degrees. Despite the
impression of motion, the first suggestion was
that the "unknown" might be the planet Venus.
The possibility was immediately checked and it
was found that the azimuth and elevation of
Venus did not coincide with the position of the

Com. Bacellar took over the theodolite and
found the balloon still there, whereupon he
immediately abandoned it and picked up the
unidentified object as it came out of the sun.
Through the 20-power scope, the UAO
presented a distinct oval- shaped outline and
was about three times as long as it was wide.
It was silvery-white in color and reflected
sunlight with what looked like a metallic shine.
It appeared at times to change shape
according to its position in space in relation to
the observers. Sometimes it seemed round, or
looked like a planetary disk.

There was a cloudless sky and no haze. The
object left no vapor trail or exhaust. No
projections were noted on the surface. It was
not rotating, but the small change of shape at
intervals suggested an oscillatory motion of
some sort.

The balloon burst at the proper time but the
UAO was still there. It remained in sight for
almost three hours. At the end diminishing
gradually in size, it finally was lost to sight by
the technician who was tracking its course all
the time.

A radio message signed by Com. Bacellar was
sent to Rio reporting the events and asking for

According to Com. Bacellar, this was the first
UAO sighting at the Island. I had another
information about two previous incidents in
October, before the arrival of Bacellar. It was
said that, in one of them, the UAO had landed
at a deserted spot on the island but—when
approached—moved away at high speed after
a swift take-off. The information had come
from a reliable source, but Com. Bacellar
denied it.

The second sighting happened on December 5,
1957. A worker, according to his written report
at the C.O. at the island (Com. Bacellar),
watched a strange object cross the sky
overhead at 8:00 a.m. The alien craft was
flying silently at a height of about six thousand
feet; it was silvery in color and round-shaped;
its angular diameter was similar to that of the
full moon’s.

This report didn’t attract unusual interest at
the time because the witness was a person
with no special qualification. On December 31,
however, came the third sighting. The same
object (or a similar one) passed again over the

The time was 7:50 a.m. A silvery, circular
object, with an apparent size compared with
the full moon, crossed the sky silently at about
six thousand feet. This time it was watched by
five workers, a sailor, the island’s doctor, and
a Navy officer—Lieutenant Inacio Carlos

By this time, the commander was worried. If
those UAOs were hostile, the Navy garrison at
the island had no chance to fight back in the
case of an attack. The island had no weapons
for defense—no artillery, long-range weapons,
or even anti- aircraft cannons. Com. Bacellar
did not expect an attack, of course, but his
men were uneasy—and he knew it. There
might be trouble in handling them if those
UAOs —whatever they might be— continued to
appear over the island.

The fourth sighting occurred on the following
day, January 1, 1958. For obvious reasons,
almost everybody was alert, with eyes turned
toward the sky. At 7:50 a.m., a bright point of
light flashed over the sea at very high speed.
It described a 90 degree trajectory on the sky
before vanishing into the horizon. In the middle
of this trajectory, it glowed brightly for a few
seconds—like a mirror reflecting the sun. The
whole garrison, including Com. Bacellar, saw
the object. At that hour a number of sea-gulls
were flying around. Was it a sea-gull? Com.
Bacellar said he is not sure. If it was a sea-
gull, it was the fastest of its kind in the world.

Workers and sailors witnessing the
phenomenon, on the other hand, reported that
the object sighted was the same they had
seen on other occasions. Besides, it had
appeared at the same time and was moving in
the same direction (to the North) as the UAO
of the previous day.

Next day, January 2, another alarm was
given—this time at night. But the men were
excited and the thing was seen for a few
seconds only. No one was sure about it. The
sighting was discarded. The same night,
however, the Navy tow ship "Triunfo," traveling
off the Bahia coast, some 400 miles off the
Island of Trindade, was circled for almost ten
minutes by an unknown aerial object. The
whole ship’s crew witnessed the incident. The
UAO was round-shaped, encircled by a weird
orange glow, and maneuvered at high
speed—with sudden changes of course and
right-angle turns. At certain times it hovered
motionless in mid-air for a brief time,
sometimes close to the ship.

This was the fifth sighting of the series. It was
not published in the press. These facts seem
fantastic, but they are recorded in the Navy
Secret Report on the Trindade Incidents. The
most incredible event was yet to come.
According to the secret Navy document sent
to Rep. Sergio Magalhaes, the sixth sighting
happened on January 6. As usual, another
weather balloon had been released that
morning and was being tracked from the
ground. The sky was blue and clear, with no
haze, and there was a solitary cumulus cloud
almost overhead. Com. Bacellar was inside the
radio cabin, tracking the balloon’s slow ascent
via the signals emitted from its radio-sonde.
Everything appeared to be normal...

Suddenly a strange thing happened; the radio
signals began to diminish gradually in intensity,
fading away as if the transmitter was moving
to a distance outside the range of the ground
station antenna. And there was no change of
frequency. In fact, the signal’s frequency did
not change even at the expected time, when
the instruments should have automatically
dropped by parachute. The change never
came because soon the radio-sonde was dead.
For unknown reasons the balloon’s transmitter
was now silent.

Worried, Com. Bacellar went outside to
investigate. There was nothing unusual at first
sight: the balloon was already very high in the
sky and still (climbing up); it was slowly
approaching the large cumulus cloud, which
was overhead at an altitude of fourteen
thousand feet. The balloon’s instruments were
expected to be dropped at this height.

It was then that the observers saw a strange
thing: the balloon was sucked suddenly toward
the cloud, entered it, and was lost to sight. It
appeared again about ten minutes later, and
resumed its ascent in the sky—more rapidly
now, for it was lighter than before its
disappearance into the cloud. The balloon’s
instruments had disappeared when it was
inside the cloud. In fact, it had entered into
that cloud still carrying its instruments—but it
had left the cloud without them.

Had the balloon’s instruments been parachuted
when it was out of sight, inside the cloud?
Maybe, but no one saw the parachute coming
down with them. No one can be sure because
they were not found. As would be expected if
they were picked up by an interloper...

Yes, there was an interloper inside the cumulus
cloud. It came out soon after the balloon and
was first spotted by the technician at the
theodolite. Com. Bacellar was alerted and saw
it too: a silvery object, with the color of
polished aluminum, shining in the sunlight. It
came slowly from behind the cloud, moving
along a SW-E direction. Com. Bacellar looked
at it through binoculars and then asked for the

Through the 20-power theodolite, the UAO
looked like a half-moon with a bright white
color. Bacellar followed it with the scope for
half an hour. It was still moving from the
Southwest to the East—but later it changed
course and started to move from East to
West. At this moment, Bacellar called a
technician to resume keeping the slow-moving
UAO in the theodolite’s field and he went to
the radio post, to check the radio-sonde data.
He went later to a ship to get a sextant and,
from the deck, he followed the object through
that optical device for a long time.

At 12:15 a.m. the UAO finally disappeared
behind a cloud-bank (cirrus clouds) and was
not seen again. According to Com. Bacellar’s
observations, the UAO’s angular velocity was
like that of the sun when the object was
moving on an E-W course. However, when it
moved in the other direction (along a SW-E
course) the speed was much higher.

This sighting was reported in the press on April
17 (Rio de Janeiro CORREIO DA MANHÃ, 0
1958 (magazine 0 CRUZEIRO). All the details
were included, except the facts connected
with the radio-sonde signals and the balloon’s
instruments. These are related here for the
first time.

At this point, I would like to call the attention
of the reader to the fact that Com. Carlos
Alberto Bacellar is a highly qualified officer, a
competent technician, and an expert on
meteorological and atmospheric phenomena.
He started the first systematic radio- sonde
research in my country. Therefore, he is well
qualified to detect the difference between a
UAO and a balloon, or the planet Venus, or any
other meteorological or astronomical
phenomena. His observations of the sightings
described above were obviously more precise
and accurate but, unfortunately, he could not
talk about the matter. He confirmed the
incidents but refused to give out more details
because the data was still classified.

There was still another sighting in January
according to the information I received from
another source. When questioned about it,
Com. Bacellar angrily refused to admit its
existence. He said the whole thing was a lie.
Despite this lack of confirmation I will report
the case because the information came from a
very reliable military source.

According to the information, this seventh
sighting occurred just a few days before the
arrival of the NE "Almirante Saldanha." This
time the UAO appeared very low over the
island. It flashed toward the Meteorological
Post at terrific speed, slowed down abruptly,
and hovered for a few seconds over it. Then it
started to move again, described several
circles around the island, hovered briefly above
the "Desejado" peak, moved again on a
‘‘zig—zag’’ course and was gone into the
horizon at tremendous speed. When last
sighted, it was flying in a Northwesterly
direction. This UAO was a weird object. It
appeared to be made of polished aluminum (or
similar metal), and was shaped like a flattened
spheroid with a large ring circling its equator.
The spheroid body did not rotate, but the ring
appeared to be spinning at fantastic speed.
The object made no sound as it flew through
the sky. In spite of the fact that it had been
sighted almost at noon, on a clear sunny day,
against a cloudless sky—this UAO was
surrounded by a bright greenish glow, which
almost disappeared when the object was
hovering, to become brighter when it started
to move.

A number of people at different spots on the
island witnessed the sighting. The witnesses
were scared and spread alarm and confusion
through the garrison. Com. Bacellar, it was
said, submitted the witnesses to a careful
interrogation after taking measures to avoid
any contact between them. All reports agreed
that the "unknown" was a solid object about
twice to three times the size of a DC-3; that it
appeared to be intelligently controlled; and
that its performance was beyond anything
manufactured upon this planet.

The investigation also revealed another
important thing (also denied by Com. Bacellar):
that the UAO had been photographed by one
of the witnesses, a Navy sergeant. The man
was taking pictures of the island with a box
camera when he spotted the UAO moving
across the sky. He shot one picture before it
disappeared. The negative was immediately
requested by Com. Bacellar and the film
developed the same day. The picture was
good enough to show that the object
photographed was the same as described by
the witnesses. Its spherical outline as well as
the large thick ring around it could be clearly
seen in the enlargements made from the
negative. On the other hand, it seemed that
the UAO’s rapid motion had not been
adequately stopped by the box camera; the
object appeared out of focus on the photo and
no good detail was observable.

This photo was probably one of the five UAO
pictures I saw at the Navy Ministry, together
with the ones taken by Mr. Barauna. Despite
the lack of detail, it is very important as
evidence, for it shows the same object seen
later in the photos taken by another person.

With this we can pass to the last UAO sighting
at the Island of Trindade, the one that was
widely reported through the press. It is the
best case of the whole series, not only
because of the amazing photographs taken by
Mr. Barauna, but also for other important
reasons that will be presented in the next
portion of this report.

Part II

The NE "Almirante Saldanha" Incident.
The UAO Photos Authenticated by the
Brazilian Navy (2)


In early January, 1958, the ship "Almirante
Saldanha" left Rio de Janeiro’s harbor and
proceeded toward the Island of Trindade with
a crew of three hundred. That ship had been
previously a Brazilian Navy school-ship, but it
had been converted into a hydrographic unit to
be used for investigations connected with IGY
research. It belonged to the Hydrography and
Navigation Division of the Brazilian Navy and,
since October, 1957, the ship had made
several trips to Trindade, most of them
connected with the Navy’s oceanographic
studies for the IGY.

Several civilians were aboard the ship this
time, invited officially to collaborate with the
Navy Ministry in the scientific studies which
were underway at the Island. One man was
Almiro Barauna, a photographer and former
newspaperman now working as a "free lancer."
He was also an expert in submarine
photography and had been invited to work in
the field for the Navy.

After a routine trip the ship arrived at the
Island and stayed there for several days. It
was scheduled to leave for Rio on January 16.
That day, at 12:15 p.m., when the ship was
preparing to depart, a strange object was
sighted simultaneously by a number of
observers gathered on the deck. The UAO
came toward the Island at high speed, hovered
briefly over a peak, disappeared behind it for a
short time, and appeared again to move away
toward the sea. Mr. Barauna was taking
pictures of the ship’s maneuvers at that
moment. He spotted the UAO and got four
pictures of it.

Let’s review what happened as told in the
witnesses’ own words. Let’s begin with Almiro
Barauna’s report. He was interviewed by
reporter Joao Martins and his statements were
published in the magazine 0 CRUZEIRO (March
8, 1958). They are transcribed below:

"Barauna’s Report

"Q. Mr. Barauna, what were the reasons for
your presence aboard the NE ‘Almirante
Saldanha’? A. The Navy has invited several
teams specialized in submarine hunting to visit
the Island of Trindade. I am a member of the
Icarai Club for Submarine Hunting, and our
group was invited for the last trip. So, on
January 8, when the ship left Rio, I was aboard
together with the following members of my
group: Amilar Vieira Fliho, captain of our team,
a Government employee (he has a job at the
CACEX); Jose Teobaldo Viegas, instructor at
the Aero Club of Niteroi and Air Force Captain
(retired); Mauro Andrade, from the London
Bank; and Aloislo, municipal employee at the
Federal District. We were going to try to beat
some records on submarine hunting. Personally,
I was going to take underwater photographs
for the Navy, and also to write some articles
about the Island and the activities of the
scientists working for the IGY.

"Q. Was any other civilian aboard, besides your
group? A. Yes. There was Prof. Fernando, a
geologist, with two assistants, and also a
photographer, and a reporter from the
newspaper ‘JORNAL DO BRASIL’. The three
scientists left the ship and went to the island.

"Q. Please tell me what was the date of the
sighting? What happened? A. It was on
January 16, at 12:15 p.m. The ship was
preparing to leave the island, to come back to
Rio. I was on the deck observing the
operations to take aboard the boat used in the
trips between the ship and the island (the
island has no harbor). The sea was agitated.
The weather was cloudy, clear, with no
shadows. I had my Rolleiflex 2.8—model E,
which was kept inside an aluminum box for
protection against the corrosive effects of
water and salt. I had left by Leica with a
telephoto lens in my cabin a few moments
before. The deck was full of sailors and
officers. Suddenly, Mr. Amilar Vieira and
Captain Viegas called me, pointing to a certain
spot in the sky and yelling about a bright
object which was approaching the island. At
this same moment, when I was still trying to
see what it was, Lieutenant Homero—the
ship’s dentist—came from the bow toward us,
running, pointing out to the sky and also
yelling about an object he was sighting. He
was so disturbed and excited that he almost
fell down after colliding with a cable. Then I
was finally able to locate the object, by the
flash (of light) it emitted. It was already close
to the island. It glittered at certain moments,
perhaps reflecting the sunlight, perhaps
changing its own light—I don’t know. It was
coming over the sea, moving toward the point
called the ‘Gab Crest’. I had lost 30 seconds
looking for the object, but the camera was
already in my hands, ready, when I sighted it
clearly silhouetted against the clouds. I shot
two photos before it disappeared behind the
peak ‘Desejado’. My camera was set at speed
125, with the aperture at f/8, and this was the
cause of an over-exposure error, as I
discovered later.

"The object remained out of sight for a few
seconds—behind the peak—reappearing bigger
in size and flying in the opposite direction, but
lower and closer than before, and moving at a
higher speed. I shot the third photo. The
fourth and fifth ones were lost, not only
because of the speed the saucer was moving,
but also for another reason: in the confusion
produced as a result of the sighting, I was
being pulled and pushed by other persons also
trying to spot the object and, as a
consequence, photographed the sea and the
island only—not the object. It was moving
again toward the sea, in the direction from
which it had come, and it appeared to stop in
mid-air for a brief time. At that moment I shot
my last photo (the last on the film). After
about 10 seconds, the object continued to
increase its distance from the ship, gradually
diminishing in size and finally disappearing into
the horizon.

"Q. Did you hear anything unusual during the
sighting? Was the object emitting any sound?
A. I am not sure, to be honest, because of the
noise made by the sea waves against the
island’s rocks, as well as for the yelling aboard
the ship at the time. However, I think that I
heard nothing besides those sounds.

"Q. What was the color of the object? A. It
showed a dark grey color, appearing to be
surrounded—mostly in the area ahead of it—by
a kind of condensation of a greenish,
phosphorescent vapor (or mist).

"Q. Did the object appear to be metallic? A.
Yes. It was obviously a solid object.

"Q. How was it flying? Any special
characteristic? A. Yes. It showed an
undulatory movement as it flew across the
sky, like the flight of a bat. And when it came
back, it changed speed abruptly, with no
transition, in a jump.

"Q. Do you know how many persons aboard the
‘Almirante Saldanha’ sighted the object? A. The
object was sighted by almost all the people on
the deck at that time, including Lieutenant
Homero, Captain Viegas and Mr. Amilar Vieira.

"Q. What happened after the sighting? A. The
ship’s commander and several officers from the
garrison wanted to see what I had got in the
photos. As I was very curious too, I decided to
develop the exposed film at once, aboard the
ship. The processing was done under the
supervision of several officers, including Com.
Carlos A. Bacellar. But only the negatives were
seen aboard. The reason: there was no
photographic paper for the copies on the ship
at that time. The negatives, however, were
seen and examined by the whole crew.

"Q. Did you keep the nagtives in your hands?
A. Yes.

"Q. Were you under any pressure to give up
those negatives to the Navy’s authorities? A.
No. Com. Saldanha da Gama (the ship’s C.O.)
and the other Navy officers aboard were very
kind. They never tried to get the negatives
from me.

"Q. What happened when the ship came back
to Rio? A. The ship stopped first at Vitoria, in
the State of Espirito Santo. As it was going to
stay there for two days and later travel to Rio,
we were permitted—the civilians from the
submarine hunting group only—to leave the
ship there and to take a bus for the rest of the
trip. Later, two days after the arrival of the
‘Almirante Saldanha’ at Rio, Com. Bacellar
(ex-commander of the Navy Post at Trindade)
appeared at my residence. He wanted to see
the enlargements made from the negatives,
and asked permission to take them to the
Navy’s authorities. Two days later they were
returned with congratulations. I was also
requested to appear at the Navy Ministry as
soon as possible. They wanted to ask me
certain questions, and to see the negatives

"Q. And what happened there? A. I was
interviewed by several high-staff officers, who
asked me all kinds of questions. I went there
twice. At the first meeting, they requested the
negatives for examination. They were sent to
a civilian organization, the ‘Cruzeiro do Sul
Aerophotogrammetric Service’, remaining there
for four days. I was told by the Navy officers
that the analyses proved they were genuine —
excluding definitely the possibility of a trick or
falsification. On the second visit, they
performed several ‘Time-tests’. While I worked
with my Rolleiflex, taking shots at the same
time-intervals I had used to photograph the
object, three Navy officers with chronometers
registered the times. They came to the
conclusion— based on these tests as well as
on studies concerning the ship’s position and
examinations of charts of the Island—that the
object was flying at a speed between 900 and
1000 Km/hour (600 m.p.h.). The object’s size
was also estimated, on the basis of studies
related with the Island’s details also appearing
on the photos, diagrams drawn on charts,
graphs, etc. The object was about 120 feet in
diameter, and about 24 feet high.

"Q. Do you know anything about the official
report on the case? A. I saw a ‘dossier’ which
was consulted many times during the
interrogation. However, I didn’t read what was
written there. I was also informed that my
photos, mixed with other pictures, had been
shown to witnesses of the sighting—to be
identified. The result was positive.

"Q. Do you know anything about any photos by
other people aboard the ship? A. No. Besides
myself, there were at least four other persons
with cameras at the time of the sighting. But
apparently they were not able to spot the
object in time, or were paralyzed by their own

"Q. Were you warned against something by the
Navy’s authorities? Was there some
recommendation? A. Yes. They requested me
to keep the matter secret for some time. I was
permitted to publish the case only after
authorization from the Navy. The permission
was granted, verbally, on the night of February
15, by Com. Bacellar. They made only one
restriction, which I cannot mention for the
reason that I have given my word.

"Q. Do you know if your sighting was the first
over the Island of Trindade? A. I was informed
of four other sightings over the island during
those thirty days preceding the incident of
January 16. I was also informed of another
thing: At one of those sightings, the ‘object’
was photographed by a Navy sergeant. His
photo obviously was not released and probably
never will be—the reasons are evident. Besides
those four sightings, there was also the radar
case. A ‘target’ flying at supersonic speed was
tracked through the radar of the ‘Almirante
Saldanha’, on January 15.

"Q. Did you receive any money from the Navy
for your work at the Island of Trindade? A. No.
I was there as a guest.

"Q. Did you receive any money from the Navy
for your photographic work, or for the
enlargements you made for them? A. No. I only
received the photographic paper to be used for

"Q. How many enlargements have you given
them? A. Thirty-eight.

"Q. One last question: What kind of impression
did you get from observing the ‘flying saucer’?
A. I am absolutely sure it was a controlled
object—either directly or by remote
control—but very well operated, in any case.
The general impression of people aboard the
ship was the same: it had come to make a
close observation of the ship." Unquote.

The interview transcribed above was
rechecked and confirmed by the witness.
However, Mr. Barauna also talked to the press
reporting additional details not mentioned
previously. The more interesting were the
following ones:

(1) "I cannot estimate the number of persons
on the ship’s deck at the moment of the
sighting. However, during the official
investigation ordered by Com. Saldanha da
Gaina, about one hundred members from the
ship’s crew confirmed that they had sighted
the UAO.

"The radar was not in operation at the time.
The object was already gone when it was put
to work. "I shot the six pictures in about 14
seconds." (Rio de Janeiro ULTIMA HORA,
February 21, 1958)

"I was worried for a few days after an officer
told me that I was under military regulations,
as any civilian aboard a Navy ship, so that the
film was going to be confiscated according to
orders from the Navy Headquarters, at Rio. But
nothing happened. Now I am convinced that
he was joking." (Rio de Janeiro ULTIMA HORA,
February 22, 1858)


On February 24, 1958, the newspaper "0 GLOBO"
printed an exclusive interview with Almiro Barauna
about his interrogation at the Navy Ministry. As that
part of his story had not been reported yet in full
detail, it is interesting to know what he said in
that interview, which is transcribed below:

"I went to the Navy Ministry for a four-hour
interrogation about the photographs. The
negatives were projected on a large sized
screen. After a careful examination by all
officers from the Navy General Staff gathered
at the place, the Chief of the Intelligence
Service (who was the officer of highest rank
there) told me the following: ‘I am going to ask
questions. Do not be offended, for I do not
doubt the authenticity of your pictures. But
we need your answers for some questions.
Now, if you were going to fake a photo, how
should it be done in order to escape

‘Commander, as an expert in photography, I am
well aware that no photo of such a kind could
resist an accurate examination,’ was my

‘In your opinion,’ said the Commander, ‘what
should be done to distinguish a faked
photograph from a good one?’ ‘A laboratory
examination of the negatives should be made
on the following points: granulation, emulsion,
and large-scale projection. The definite proof,
how ever, good enough to detect any tricks,
would be a microscopic examination,’ I said to
them. ‘It would demonstrate the increase in
granulation connected with the double-
exposure needed for the trick I concluded.

"After a few more questions, the intelligence
officer said: ‘We want your negatives for those
examinations. Do you agree?’ I agreed, of
course, and he got the film. These things
happened three days after the arrival of the
‘Almirante Saldanha,’ at the Navy’s Intelligence
Headquarters. A few days later, the negatives
were returned in an official envelope with a
card informing me about the results of the
analyses. "Some days later I was called again.
This time they also asked for my Rollelflex.
They wanted to make tests in order to
estimate, if possible, the speed of the flying
saucer at the moment of the sighting. The
tests were performed. They showed that I had
taken my six pictures in 14 seconds, and that
the saucer was flying at 900 to 1000 Km/hour.
One of my photographs, taken when the
saucer was hovering over the ‘Desejado’ Peak,
stopped in space, did not show (as they said)
the turbulence in the surrounding air observed
in the others with the object moving. There
was a kind of vapor or condensation in front of
the flying object when it was moving—similar
to that produced by the engines of a jet plane.

"At the end of the meeting, the Intelligence
chief officer said he was convinced that my
photos were authentic. Then he showed me
another photo which had been taken by a
Navy telegraphist-sergeant— also at Trindade.
A box camera had been used. I was surprised.
That photo showed the same object seen in
my pictures. It was evidently the final proof.
They told me it had been taken some time
before my arrival at the Island." Unquote.


When the curtain of security around the
sighting was broken, the Navy General Staff
released special instructions forbidding the
ship’s crew and Navy officers to have any
contact with the press on the matter. The
Navy authorities refused at first to make any
comment on the incident. All military chiefs
interviewed by the press denied any knowledge
of the matter, or said that only Minister Alves
Camera was entitled to say anything. Some
Navy departments even tried to show a
complete lack of interest, explaining that the
pictures had been taken by a civilian
eventually aboard a warship. On the other
hand, the NE "Almirante Saldanha" remained off
Rio de Janeiro’s harbor and finally received
orders to leave Guanabara Bay "to make
another trip related with IGY studies." This
occurred on February 21, at a time when
newspapermen were making desperate
attempts to reach the crew kept aboard the
ship. At the last moment before the ship’s
departure, it was divulged that reporters were
free at least to contact the crew and get their
reports on the flying saucer. However, the
permission was denied by a counter order, for
the Navy General Staff was against it. New
instructions were issued to sailors and officers
aboard the ship emphasizing that no contacts
with the press were permitted. That same day
(Feb. 21), a Navy spokesman called the press
to say that the Navy had no responsibility
regarding the incident, and that no official
statement was to be released about it. But he
agreed that the following information—with no
official support—might be published:

"On the morning of January 16, 1958, over the
Island of Trindade, the crew of the school ship
‘Almirante Saldanha’ sighted an unidentified
aerial object for a few seconds. A civilian who
was aboard the ship took some pictures of the
object. The Navy has no connection with the
case, and its only connection with the
occurrence was the fact that the
photographer was aboard the school ship, and
came back with the ship to Rio." Unquote
(ULTIMA HORA, Feb. 21)

Another spokesman, from the Navy High Staff
Command, released the following statement to
the newspaper 0 GLOBO, the same day:

"The news about a flying saucer sighted over
the Island of Trindade were received here with
utmost reserve. There will be an investigation
to verify the authenticity of the sighting and
photos. No officer or sailor from the NE
‘Almirante Saldanha’ witnessed the event."

It was evident that the Navy authorities didn’t
realize the incident was too big to be
concealed. Their desperate attempt to give
the impression that the Navy had nothing to
do with the incident was a foolish move. To
deny any connection with the incident was a
childish thing. The "unofficial statement" should
not have been released. The press and the
public already knew enough to see where the
truth lay. On the other hand, the strict orders
which forbade military people to give out any
information on the matter did not apply to
civilian observers aboard the ship. They talked
to the press. Captain J. T. Viejas, from the AF
(ret.), was the first to confirm Barauna’s
report in a press interview on February 22. His
report is transcribed below: "I was on the
deck. My friend Amilar Vieira Filho suddenly
called my attention to what he thought to be
a ‘big seagull.’ I looked toward it and was
unable to control my excitement, shouting:
‘Flying saucer!’ Mr. Barauna was 20 yards away
with his Rolleiflex, watching the maneuvers. He
heard my shouts and came running—in time to
take four pictures of the object. Other people
were also alerted by my alarm: a sergeant,
sailors, the ship’s dentist (Lieutenant Captain
Homero Ribeiro), and other persons. They all
sighted the object. The photographer Farias de
Azevedo, who was more distant, didn’t come in
time to get photos.

"The first view was that of a disk shining with
a phosphorescent glow, which—even at
daylight—appeared to be brighter than the
moon. The object was about the apparent size
(angular diameter) of the full moon. As it
followed its path across the sky, changing to a
tilted position, its real shape was clearly
outlined against the sky: that of a flattened
sphere encircled, at the equator, by a large
ring or platform. Its speed was around 700
miles an hour at the moment it disappeared
into the horizon.

"The object was sighted at 12:20 p.m., when
the ship was preparing to leave the area. It
caused a tremendous confusion aboard. Mr.
Barauna found it very difficult to operate his
camera, being pushed and pulled by excited
observers around him. In fact, he was almost
thrown into the sea. He got so nervous after
the sighting that he needed more than an hour
to calm down and be able to develop the film.
However, in his excitement he forgot to rewind
the film before opening the camera, and it
would have been ruined if he had not been
warned by an officer at the last moment.

"The negatives were immediately developed by
Barauna in the presence of Com. Bacellar. The
whole crew was gathered outside, waiting with
great anxiety for the results. The negatives
were seen by everybody on the ship.

"When the ship arrived at Rio, the negatives
were taken to the Navy Ministry and projected
on a screen, together with a picture of a flying
saucer sent from the U. S., in a military report
informing the Navy about sightings made in
that country. A comparative study
demonstrated that the object sighted at
Trindade was similar in shape to the one
photographed in the U. S.

"Flying saucers have been sighted several
times in the past months by members of the
Navy Post at the Island of Trindade. Some of
those people observed UFOs on more than one
occasion last year, and were even able to
guess with accuracy the time a saucer would
be sighted again over the island (the exact
hour). But it was believed that they were
mistaken. There are a lot of sea-gulls in that
region. In any case, Corn. Bacellar was so
worried about the presence of UFOs around
weather balloons launched from the island
that, in November 1957, he sent a radio
message to the Navy reporting the strange
events." Unquote (Rio de Janeiro DIARIO DA
NOITE, 0 JORNAL, etc., February 22, 1958)

Captain Viegas’ interview was a tremendous
blow for the group who still tried to keep the
secrecy about the incident. The press reaction
to the Navy’s attitude was going to be
dangerous unless the policy to deny any
connection with the case was changed at
once. It was obvious that to forestall any more
trouble the Navy had to talk freely about the
facts and not try to hide them. As a result,
statements of several Navy authorities were
released that same day— all of them
confirming the sighting and the existence of
the photographs. Some of these statements
will be transcribed in another part of this
report, but one of them will be presented
now—for it came from an officer who was
aboard the NE ‘Almirante Saldanha’ when the
UAO was sighted.

This officer was Com. Paulo Moreira da Silva,
of the Navy’s Hydrography and Navigation
Service. He was interviewed on February 22 by
reporters from the newspapers "0 JORNAL" and
"DIARIO NA NOITE," releasing the following

"The object sighted in the skies of Trindade
was not a weather balloon, neither an
American guided missile. I cannot give yet my
conclusions, for the data are being analyzed in
a secret evaluation at the Navy Ministry. I can
tell, however, that the object was not a
meteorological balloon—for the one which we
had launched that day was released at 9:00
a.m., two hours before the appearance of the
object in the sky. This balloon was tracked
until it burst at the proper altitude. Besides,
while the object was encircled by a greenish
glow, our balloon was of red color. Also it was
not a guided missile from the U. S., because
the Island of Trindade is off the route of those
rockets; they are launched from Florida in the
direction of Ascension Island." Unquote

The reports from other civilian observers
aboard the NE "Almirante Saldanha" were also
printed in the press. One of them came from
Mr. Mauro Andrade, employee of the London
Bank of South America, and member of
Barauna’s group. In an interview published in
the newspaper "0 GLOBO" (Feb. 22, 1958), he
said: "I didn’t witness the sighting because I
was inside the ship, not on the deck, when the
object was seen. But I can give a list of
responsible people who saw it and saw the
photographer Barauna take the pictures as well
as develop the negatives. "I don’t know how I
was tracked by the press. I was startled by
the publication of news and photos related
with the incident because we had promised—
all of us—to keep the whole thing secret.

"I was somewhere inside the ship, was alerted
by the shouts, and ran outside to see what
was happening. Yet I didn’t see the object.
But all people I found on deck told me that
they had really sighted a flying saucer. 1
believed them, and my belief was confirmed by
the film developed aboard. In fact, I saw a
thing on the negatives which looked like a
flying saucer, although I cannot be sure if it
was really one of them. The film was
developed before the eyes of witnesses, and
was shown later to every one aboard."


The other report came from Mr. Amilar Vieira
Filho, president of the Icaral Club for
Submarine Hunting, and member of the CACEX
Research Division (a Federal Department). He
avoided any contact with the press for several
days, but was finally interviewed by a reporter
from the newspaper "0 GLOBO" on February 27.
He explained that his attitude was based on
two reasons: first, the compromise assumed by
the whole delegation of his Club to tell nothing
about the strange sighting of January 16, at
Trindade; and second, his natural aversion to
any kind of publicity. However, after the Navy
official release on the matter, and after the
interview given by other members of his group,
he felt that the silence he had imposed on
himself was not justified anymore. He made the
following statement: "First, I want to make it
very clear that I don’t know if what I saw was
really the so-called ‘flying saucer.’ What I saw,
in fact, was an object of gray color and oval in
shape when first sighted, which passed over
the island and then—emitting a fluorescent
light it didn’t possess before—went away
toward the horizon and was gone, vanishing
just on the horizon line. Everything happened
in just a few seconds, in no more than. 20
seconds, and for this reason I cannot give you
more details about the curious craft. It looked
like an object with polished surface and
uniform color. I am sure it was not a balloon,
an airplane, or a seagull."

He was not going to tell anything more, but
the reporter decided to ask a last question:
"Flying saucer or not, can you tell me if the
strange object you sighted was the same
registered on Barauna’s photos?" After a brief
hesitation came the answer: "As I said before,
the thing was too rapid. It was almost
impossible for the human vision to fix any detail
of the object. Mr. Barauna, however, was
operating with a camera of modern type which
was able to register those details. Generally
speaking, the shape of the object sighted was
the same seen on the negatives developed
aboard the NE ‘Almirante Saldanha.’

The reports of Captain Viegas, Mauro Andrade,
and Amilar Vieira Filho represent additional
evidence confirming the story told by Almiro
Barauna. They were rechecked with the
witnesses and confirmed. They were not
denied by the Brazilian Navy. However, two
things are still lacking to meet the challenge of
the UAO agnostics—the non-believers. One of
them is an official release from the Navy
confirming the whole thing. The other is a
written statement signed by Com. Bacellar,
former chief of the Navy Post at Trindade.
These important documents will be presented
in the conclusion of this report, together with
other additional facts connected with the

Part III

The Official Attitude of the Brazilian Navy.
Official Documents and Additional Evidence
About the UAO Photos Taken from the NE
"Almirante Saldanha" (3)


At the beginning of this report, it was said that
the UAO photographs taken at the Island of
Trindade were proven to be genuine, according
to official statements. The first official
document supporting that statement has
already been presented to the reader; it was
the Navy secret memorandum to the House of
Representatives with the answers to the
questions asked by Rep. S. Magalhaes. Two
other official documents shall be presented

The Navy Official Release
and Other Official Statements

On February 22, 1958, under pressure of public
opinion and the press, the Brazilian Navy
Ministry was forced to issue an official release,
admitting for the first time that a UAO had
been photographed over the Island of
Trindade, in the presence of a number of
members from the garrison of the NE "Almirante
Saldanha." The document from the Navy
Minister’s office was the following:

"With respect to the news divulged through
the press insinuating that the Navy Ministry
has attempted to avoid the publication of
facts connected with the appearance of a
strange object over the Island of Trindade,
this office declares that such information is
without basis.

"This Ministry sees no reason to forbid the
publication of pictures of said object, taken by
Mr. Almiro Barauna— who was at the Island of
Trindade as a Navy guest—in the presence of
a number of elements from the NE ‘Almirante
Saldanha’ garrison, aboard that ship from
which the photos were taken. "Evidently, this
Ministry cannot make any statement about the
object sighted over the Island of Trindade, for
the photos do not constitute enough evidence
for such a purpose." Unquote (Rio de Janeiro
23; 0 GLOBO, February 24, etc. Sao Paulo 0
ESTADO DE SAO PAULO, February 23, 1958)

That same day, a Navy spokesman told the
press that the authenticity of the photos
taken aboard the NE "Almirante Saldanha" was
now confirmed beyond any doubt, and that
those who had rejected them as proof were
entirely wrong. He also stated that the whole
UFO problem was being investigated and, at
the end, the Brazilian Navy would release a
decisive report about it. (Rio de Janeiro
CORREIO DA MANHÃ, February 23, 1958)
Admiral Gerson de Macedo Soares, the Navy
General Secretary, told the newspaper 0
GLOBO that what he knew about the matter
was already in the papers. He concluded his
statement with the following words: "I do not
see any reason to doubt the reports of reliable
witnesses. Personally, I believe in the reality of
the flying saucers, even if they come from
another planet."

Admiral Alves Camera, the Navy Minister, told
the UP, on February 24, "that he didn’t believe
in flying saucers before, but after Barauna’s
photographic evidence he was convinced." The
statement was made when the Navy Minister
was leaving the Rio Negro Palace, at
Petropolls, after his weekly meeting with the
President. Minister Alves Camara, talking with
newspapermen, also said that "the Brazilian
Navy has a big secret which cannot be
released, because it cannot be explained." He
confirmed once more the authenticity of the
pictures taken from the NE "Almirante
Saldanha." (Credit: Asapress dispatch, of Feb.
24, published in several newspapers)

Com. Paulo Moreira da Silva, in a new press
interview, confirmed his previous statement
that "the mysterious object seen at Trindade,
on January 16, was not a meteorological
balloon." He also rejected bluntly the possibility
of a hoax with the following statement:

"I do not wish to discuss the personality of the
photographer who shot the pictures of the
unknown object sighted by many people of
recognized responsibility. I state, however,
that the photos are authentic, and that the
film was developed on the same occasion,
aboard the NE ‘Almirante Saldanha’—and also
that the image of the object on the negatives
was verified, at that same opportunity, by
several officers, not eight days later as it has
been said—thus entirely discarding any
possibility of photographic trick. "I do not wish
to advance my opinion, stating categorically
that I saw a flying saucer. Yet, I can say that
the UFO seen at the Island of Trindade was
not a weather balloon, neither an American or
Russian guided missile, nor a plane or a sea-
gull...." (Rio de Janeiro 0 JORNAL, February 26,


Since the beginning of the "Flying Saucer"
mystery, the attitude of various governments
has been and remains fundamentally the
same—flying saucers do not exist. As any
serious researcher on the subject will admit,
there is a deplorable tendency toward secrecy
and ridicule. But good UAO reports cannot be
written off. And sometimes we have something
more than good circumstantial evidence. In the
Trindade case, for instance, we have an
official release and official statements saying
that an object was sighted that it was a UAO,
that it was photo graphed in the presence of
witnesses, that the photos are genuine—and
that the object in the photo was not a balloon,
an American or Russian guided missile, an
airplane, or a sea-gull. . - . What was it? Com.
Bacellar’s Press Release

Captain-of-Corvette Carlos Alberto Ba-cellar,
the C.O. of the Navy Oceanographic Post at
the Island of Trindade from October, 1957, to
January, 1958, was the man who rebuilt the
Navy Base, and also a witness to several of
the UAO sightings reported in this review. On
January 16, 1958, he was aboard the NE
"Almirante Saldanha" to make his return trip to
Rio. He was contacted by reporter Joao
Martins. In a personal report, emphasizing the
fact that he was not entitled to speak in the
name of the Navy, he made the following
written declaration (with the approval of the
Navy Ministry) about the UAO sightings at

"1—An unidentified aerial object was really
seen by some people on the deck of the NE
‘Almirante Saldanha.’ I was not a witness of
the sighting because, at that moment, I was
inside my cabin; however, I was called to the
deck immediately after the event.

"2—The fact caused some natural excitation
and the subsequent racing of people to the
ship’s deck, attracted by the shouts of those
who sighted the object.

"3—The photographer Almiro Barauna was on
the deck with his camera and, after the
happening, was under a deep nervous
excitation. I stayed at his side all the time, in
order to watch him develop the film.

"4—The film was developed in a photo-
laboratory prepared aboard, when Barauna was
able to get his nerves under control—about an
hour after the incident.

"5—The AF Captain Jose Teobaldo Viegas
(retired) went with him into the darkroom,
holding a flashlight during the film’s
development, while I waited outside.

"6—I saw the film immediately after it was
developed, still wet, and—making a careful
examination—I was able to determine:

"(a) that the pictures preceding the sequence
connected with the object’s passage
corresponded with scenes taken aboard a few
minutes before the incident; "(b) that, in the
pictures connected with the sighting, was
visible, in different positions, an image looking
like the object seen later on the copies—with
details which only the enlargements made
afterward showed more clearly;

"(c) and that the two photos lost by Barauna
because he was too nervous, or because he
was pushed by other excited people around
him—showed the sea and part of the Island’s

"(d) the negatives referred to were seen by
many people aboard.


"7—Afterwards, in Rio, I called Barauna (as we
had prearranged) and brought him twice to the
Navy Ministry. "8—I warned Barauna against
any publicity about the fact before the proper
permission would be granted, and also that he
would be informed as soon as the proper
authorities decided to authorize the publication
of the photographs.

"9—The negatives were given by Barauna to
Navy authorities but were later returned again
to him, through myself. On this occasion,
however, I said he was free to use the
pictures as he wished, under certain
restrictions, for they belonged to him.

"10—At my request, and using paper I had
supplied, Barauna prepared six complete series
of the four photos and sixteen enlargements of
details of the object.

"11—That was the fourth time that in the forty
days preceding the incident the passage of an
‘unidentified aerial object’ over the Island of
Trindade had been verified." Unquote

The amazing document transcribed above was
printed in the magazine 0 CRUZEIRO, of May 3,
1958. It was the last official release on the
UAO incidents at the Island of Trindade—and
also the best. There is no doubt about the
extraordinary significance of such a report, for
the information included in it was the last
piece of evidence we needed to prove that
Barauna’s photographs are genuine-and good
enough to show that UAOs are real, i.e., some
type of vehicle flying through our atmosphere.

Incidentally, the analysis of the photographs
outside the Navy also confirmed their
authenticity. As said before, Barauna’s
negatives were taken to the "Cruzeiro do Sul
Aerophotogrammetric Service," one of the best
equipped photo-laboratories in South America.
On the even of February 22, 1958, Mr. Stefano
(the laboratory’s chief and top photography
expert), together with a group of photo
technicians, did a careful examination of the
negatives. After several hours of rigorous
tests, the commission came to the following
conclusion: "It was established that no
photographic tricks are involved. The
negatives are normal." This written photo lab
report was signed and sent to the Navy
Ministry, where it was added to the UFO
Secret Report which was later sent to the
National Security Council. After discussing the
accurate laboratory tests made in the Navy
Photo Reconnaissance Laboratory and in the
aerophotogrammetric lab, the top secret report
emphasized that both examinations had proven
that the photos were authentic. On the basis
of such an evidence, concluded the report, the
sighting of an unidentified aerial object in the
skies of Trindade could be positively
established. But the available data were not
enough to make sure that the object was, in
fact, a flying saucer—nor they added other
elements to make easy its identification.

The information above was printed in the press
(Sao Paulo DIARIO DA NOITE, February 22).
The data related with the photo lab report
were rechecked and confirmed, but only these.

This ended my investigation of Barauna’s
photographs. It must be pointed out, however,
that the data included in the preceding
paragraphs of this review do not represent the
complete story of the Trindade affair.
Therefore, it is necessary to discuss the
details not yet reported—at least those that
might contribute to a better evalualon of the
whole case. They will be listed in the following

Trip of Major-General Thomas Darcy

On February 22, 1958, some of Rio’s
newspapers reported that copies of Barauna’s
photos had been sent to the U. S. to satisfy
the request of authorities at the Pentagon.
According to the information, the American
embassy at Rio informed the Brazilian
government about the interest they had to
study the pictures and to compare them with
other photos they possessed in the U. S. The
Armed Forces General Staff, at Rio, had taken
the necessary measures to deliver immediately
the copies requested.

By a curious coincidence," an unexpected
visitor arrived at Rio a days later. He came in a
Pan America. airliner, on February 26. He was
Major- General Thomas Darcy, the USAF
representative in the Brazil-U. S. A. Joint
Military Commission for Defense. In an
interview with the press, at the Galeao
International Airport, he said:

"The reasons for my visit to Brazil are
connected with several things. One of them
is related with the supply of airplanes and
equipment for Brazilian anti-submarine
defense. On this trip I am going to discuss
with Brazilian military authorities several
problems of interest to both countries. Also
I will make a visit, of course, to Salvador AF
Base. I am going to discuss some secret
matters, too.’’

The newspapermen then asked for his opinion
about the Trindade sightings. His answer was
the following:

"In the USAF we have a well-established
viewpoint about flying saucers. We came to
the conclusion that 85 per cent of these UFOs
can be explained as natural phenomena of
atmospheric origin. Regarding the other 15 per
cent—the mystery still remains, and we prefer
to withhold our opinions on the matter." (Rio
etc., February 22, 1958)

Major-General Thomas Darcy, former Commander
of the 22nd Tactical Air Command, during World
War II, has made several trips to Brazil in past
years to discuss military problems with Brazilian
authorities. His last trip, however, was a surprise.
Even the military didn’t expect it. On the other
hand, no one suspected that it might be connected
with the Trindade case—despite the reference to
Salvador AFB, the AF Base nearest that Island. The
Facts Reported by Members of the NE "Almirante
Saldanha" Garrison

On February 24, 1958, the NE "Almirante
Saldanha" arrived at Santos, S. P. Members of
the crew were permitted to visit the town and
there, for the first time, were contacted by
the press. Their declarations were printed in
two Sao Paulo’s newspapers (FOLHA DA TARDE
and 0 ESTADO DE SAO PAULO, of February
25). All of them confirmed the passage of the
UAO over the Island, watched by all members
of the crew on the ship’s deck at the time.
Several of them had been eye-witness of the
event. A Navy sergeant who refused to tell his
name to the reporters, said that, "during". the
three days preceding the arrival of the ship,
many inhabitants of the Island (including
authorities) had spotted the passage of the
‘object’ several times. According to their
reports, the UAO appeared between 10 and
11:30 a.m. over the ‘Gab Crest,’ maneuvered
in several directions, and disappeared into the
horizon—to come back just a few seconds
later. It then moved away at high speed and
was gone. These sightings were interesting,
but the real sensation had been the incident
of January 16, because of the photographic
evidence supporting it."

In the course of my personal investigation,
I asked some friends in the Navy to verify
the sergeant’s story. They said the reports
existed, but had been rejected due to the
observers’ lack of qualification and brief
duration of the phenomena. At my request,
they also rechecked the radar report. They
confirmed Barauna’s report. According to the
radar technicians, the ship’s radar set had
picked up a target flying at supersonic speed
the day before Barauna’s sighting, at about
12:05 p.m. The operator had tried to switch
the set to automatic tracking, but failed, and
the strange body was not identified. However,
as they were not alerted about flying saucers
at that time, the radar technicians admitted
the possibility of a defect in the set and
rechecked it. They found that everything was

Another bit of interesting information reported
by reporter Paulo M. Camsos, writing in the
newspaper DIARIO CARIOCA, of February 23,
1958. He said:

"I am going to tell you something about the
flying saucer sighted at the Island of Trindade;
something not yet printed in the papers. I
cannot vouch for it, but my source is the best
possible. According to my informant, more than
the sighting of the flying saucer itself, what
really made a deep impression on the Navy was
the report that instruments Eke radio transmitters,
and apparatus with magnetic needles, ceased
operating while the flying object remained in the
Island’s proximity." The Navy decided to consider
this a top-secret fact.

Inside Navy circles, it was not possible to
obtain any information of the fact. All sources
interviewed by the press refused to confirm or
deny the information. At my request, my Navy
friends also rechecked it. They confirmed the
data but failed to get further details concerning
the event. The UAO Sighted from the Tow Ship

In an interview with the press, Admiral Gerson
Macedo Soares, the Navy General Secretary,
confirmed the fact that a Navy officer had
sighted a flying saucer near the coast of
Espirito Santo (State). Corn. Pedro Moreira,
the public relations officer for the press,
confirmed the information too. It is believed
that this sighting was made from aboard the
Navy tow ship "Tridente," and that the ship’s
CO. as well as several officers and sailors were
the witnesses. (Rio de Janeiro CORREIO DA
MANHÃ, February 25, 1958)

I must confess that I was not impressed when
I read this information in the papers. Those
who saw the first part of this review know
that, in the beginning of my investigation of
the Trindade cases, I had received information
about a sighting involving a Navy tow ship.
Yet, according to my source, that ship was
the "Triunfo" and the incident had occurred on
January 2, 1958, near the coast of Bahia. That
press report was not correct, I thought.
However, just a few days later, I saw again
the name "Tridente." This time it appeared in
an official document, the Congressional inquiry
approved by the House of Representatives
(item 8) on February 27, which was already
transcribed in the first part of this review. Now
I was impressed. I rechecked my information
but got the same answers. Yet something was
wrong. I was inclined to believe that the
discrepancy might be due to a confusion of
names, for the lack of a better explanation. It
was then that I was startled by some amazing
information. Someone told me that the CO. of
the "Tridente" had sighted the UAO, near the
Espirito Santo coast, on the same day of the
Barauna case—i.e., on January 16, 1958. The
same source confirmed the other sighting too.

The next thing was to try to get more data on
the "Tridente" sighting. I enlisted the aid of
several friends and we tried to get an account
of other UAO sightings on the Espirito Santo
coast that day. One of them was lucky and
got a report about a similar object in that
area. The sighting had been witnessed by a
physician, Dr. Ezio Azevedo Fundao (Director,
Surgery Service, Pedro Ernesto Hospital, Rio
de Janeiro), his father, wife, and two sisters.
Dr. Fundao has a summer house on the Beach
Coast (X’illa Velha, Espirito Santo, half an hour
out from Vitoria (the State capital). That
night, the doctor’s car was parked on a small
road beside the house, and was hit and
practically destroyed by a truck. The whole
family was awakened by the crash and went
outside to see what had happened.

When everything was normal again, at 2:30
am., one of the doctor’s sisters called the
attention of the others to a bright object that
hovered over the Rocky Islands, at a distance
of about 2400 feet from the observers and
about 600 feet above the ground. It remained
there, motionless, for about 40 minutes. It
finally disappeared when it was covered by
thick, low-flying clouds that moved across the

That object’s shape was exactly the same as
the UAO to be photographed over the Island
of Trindade less than twelve hours later. Its
spherical body appeared to be translucent,
with a silvery light. The ring looked like
aluminum shining in the sunlight. The UAO’s
size was, according to the observers, like that
of a "Convair" plane. A beam of light was
emitted from its bottom projecting toward the
sea below. This searchlight was steady and
moved from one side to another.

The object was too bright to be a lighted
balloon. As the night was clear, its outlines
were sharply defined against the sky. It was
obviously a craft of some sort. It couldn’t be
an airplane because airplanes don’t hover in
one spot, and it was not atmospheric
phenomena. The observers heard no sound
and they were away from all city noises.

By a coincidence or not, the beacon at the
Barra lighthouse, located at the same area,
collapsed at the hour the UAO was sighted to
reappear only fifty minutes later. By another
coincidence, the Navy tow ship "Tridente" was
within about two miles of the site that same
night. From the ship’s deck, the C.O. had
spotted the object at approximately the same

We talked to Dr. Fundao about his sighting. He
emphasized the fact that he didn’t know what
the UAO was, but he was sure it was
something he had never seen before. . . . He
was also interviewed by reporter Joao Martins,
and his report was published in the magazine
0 CRUZEIRO, of June 7, 1958.

The Last Sightings
on the Island of Trindade

After the happenings of January 16, 1958, the
Brazilian Navy decided to set up special
photographic equipment at Trindade. This
camera project included automatic cameras
with telephoto lenses which were to be kept
ready to photograph any new UAO
appearance, at any time. Technicians handling
the equipment were to stay at their posts day
and night—each man being substituted by
another every four hours.

I don’t know if the system worked as planned.
But I was informed that a UAO reappeared
over the Island on March 7, 1958, in the
daytime. One of the observers, a Navy doctor,
tried to photograph it with his camera—but
nothing appeared on the negatives.

The UAO was sighted again on October 5,
1958, at 8 pm. It was described as a luminous
object, round- shaped and encircled by a
bright, red glow, moving across the sky at high
speed. It hovered over the Island for about 4
minutes, then it moved away toward the
northeast at tremendous speed and was gone.
The sentry who saw it was so scared that he
forgot to alert the garrison while the object
was still in sight.

These sightings were not published in the
Brazilian press.

The UAO Sightings at the Island of Fernando

Fernando Noronha is another small rocky island
in the South Atlantic Ocean between the
Brazilian coast and the African continent.
Unlike Trindade, it is placed along the route of
the U. S. guided missiles fired from Cape
Canaveral in the direction of Ascension Island.
Because of this strategic position, the island
was selected two years ago as the place for a
U. S. guided missile and satellite tracking
station. According to the military treaty
between the two countries, the instruments
set up over the island to track high, fast-
moving objects—the guided missiles and
satellites—were to be operated by American
crews and Brazilian technicians working
together. As soon as the tracking station was
built, it was put into operation together with
the already existing tracking system net.

Recently one of the Brazilian technicians
working at the tracking station arrived at Rio
to see his family. He stayed here for a few
weeks. He told us a startling story. He said
that the first UAO sightings over Fernando
Noronha occurred the same day the station
had begun its operations.

An ICBM had been fired from the Atlantic
Missile Range in Florida, and as it roared up
into the stratosphere and fell back to earth,
the crews at Fernando Noronha were ready to
record its flight. Suddenly a target was picked
up on the radar screens. It was the rocket and
the station started to track it. But a few
seconds later another "rocket" was spotted
moving along the same trajectory. Something
was wrong. They had been called to track one
rocket but the radars had picked up two
rockets. A radio message was immediately sent
asking for an explanation. There was no
explanation, was the answer, for only one
missile had been fired. The radar operators said
that the second target looked real, too, but it
was "explained away" as a reflection caused by
an inversion layer.

The "ghost rockets" continued to be picked up,
however, almost every time a guided missile
was being tracked by the station. Soon it
became clear that those fast-moving objects
chasing the guided missiles were real too. They
were sighted by every person at Fernando
Noronha. Sometimes only one was spotted,
sometimes they came in pairs, sometimes a
whole formation including three or four
unknowns was sighted. Some of them followed
the rocket they were tracking during the whole
tracking sequence. But others changed course
and went in another direction. And a few even
stopped for a time over the Island. Most of
them were round- shaped and their
performances showed c1early that they were
UAOs—not guided missiles.

Besides the UAO activity connected with the
guided missile tests, UAOs began to appear
over the Island at almost regular intervals—"as
if they were patrolling the area," concluded our
informant. He also said that all those sightings
were classified, and that his name could not be
used in connection with the information if it
was published.

In the light of the information about the UAO
activities in the area of Fernando Noronha, it is
not difficult to guess what they were doing
over Trindade. Taking into account all of the
evaluated data, it is evident that these UAOs
are spy-ships. They are keeping every guided
missile test range, satellite launching base, and
tracking station around this world under close
watch all the time. When they detected signs
of activity on Trindade they started an
investigation to discover what we were doing
there. For some time, they probably suspected
the new base to be somehow connected with
our rocket and satellite tests. As soon as the
obvious peaceful character of the
meteorological studies performed there was
established, the UAOs abandoned the
survey—to concentrate on more important
targets. Fernando Noronha is one of these
targets. The UAOs are still being sighted there.

These conclusions are based on the facts—all
of the facts related with the remarkable
sequence of military UAO reports included in
this review. You may accept or reject them.
Yet, you cannot deny the fact that the
evidence presented is more than enough to
prove that UAOs are real objects. And if you
are one of those who accuse UAO researchers
of creating the mystery of the flying saucers,
believing what they want to believe and
rejecting all other possibilities, I have for you
the unbiased opinion of Colonel Joao Adil de
Oliveira, former head of the Brazilian Air Force
investigation of these strange objects in the
sky. If you cannot meet his challenge. then
you shall have to revise your ideas on the
subject. In an interview with the press, on
February 28, 1958, he said the words that will
be used to close this review. They are:

"It is impossible to deny any more the
existence of flying saucers at the present
time. Regarding the Trindade photographs, I
see no reason for disbelief neither to admit
that the photographer would dare to take the
risk of a public expose of his fraud (if it was
the case) nor to think that reporter Joao
Martins-an expert on the matter and a
responsible newspaperman—would accept the
photographic evidence for publication without
a previous examination to test its authenticity.
And, to close the issue, the Navy High
Command itself released an official note
confirming the photos’ authenticity.

"The flying saucer is not a ghost from another
dimension, or a mysterious dragon. It is a fact
confirmed by material evidence. There are
thousands of documents, photos, and
sightingreports demonstrating its existence.
For instance, when I went to the AF High
Command to discuss the flying saucers I called
for ten witnesses—military (AF officers) and
civilians—to report their evidence about the
presence of flying saucers in the skies of Rio
Grande do Sul, and over Gravatai AFB; some of
them had seen UFOs with the naked eye,
others with high powered optical instruments.
For more than two hours the phenomenon was
present in the sky, impressing the selected
audience: officers, engineers, technicians, etc.
"How to doubt?" Unquote (Rio do Janeiro 0
GLOBO, Feb. 28, 1958.)


(1) Fontes, Olavo. (January, 1960). The UAO Sightings at
The Island of Trindade: Part I. The A.P.R.O. Bulletin. pp. 5-9.

(2) Fontes, Olavo. (March, 1960). The UAO Sightings Over
Trindade: Part II. The A.P.R.O. Bulletin. pp. 5-8.

(3) Fontes, Olavo. (May, 1960). The UAO Sightings at
The Island of Trindade: Part III. The A.P.R.O. Bulletin. pp. 4-9.

jc: And, if you've read all this, you really have to see this; an admission by the Brazilian Air Force (sometime in 2004 or 2005) that, after performing in-depth studies concerning some startling UFO cases in Brazil, they have found a number of them to be 100% legitimate.


Page from the website of:

Website Master Index